Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Barcelona: the Quick Version

I'm like a week behind on posts now, so I realized I should probably just give a quick oversight of Barcelona, and maybe return to write a longer post about it later if I get the chance. Barcelona was wonderful, but thanks to a series of issues (like problems with the train, as mentioned, getting sick, and absolutely hating the first hostel we stayed in) I was just not in the right headspace to have a good time there. I liked it more and more as time went by, helped massively by changing hostels to one of the best places I've ever stayed, but I think my experience in the first couple of days has skewed my perspective badly, and I might not be able to look back fondly just yet. Still, we had a nice time and there were a lot of cool things to see, do, and most importantly, eat. 

We were kind of bad tourists in Barcelona; between my bad mood and sickness, Jesse's sickness just before he left, and making two extra trips to the train station, there was a lot we didn't get to see or do there. What we did get out to was great though!

Also it was gross out. Windy and warm and painfully humid. It really makes the views of the city grey and bleak. 

Glimpses of Gaudian architecture in the park. 

La Sagrada Familia, which is unbelievably gorgeous and awesome. Not in the overused, "cool" sense, but in the sense that it literally inspired awe. 

I'd have to say its the most beautiful church I've ever been in. 

Massive, and still under construction. 

View from the top.  

Also fruit on top of the spires. 

A spiral staircase that just went on forever... Long enough to give both of us vertigo and terrify me at least a little. 

On a brighter day, the city is much prettier. 

And fountains abound!

The modern art museum and gorgeous fountain leading up to it... So many people around though!

So Barcelona was pretty, but exhausting... It's nice to be in London, where I can relax a little and hopefully avoid any additional serious travel miscommunications!

No comments:

Post a Comment