Wednesday, December 28, 2016

The Best Things I Ate in 2016

Not surprisingly, I also ate out a lot this year - though I wound up cutting back considerably in the fall, out of busyness and to save a little money. I'll only post about newer to me restaurants here - while I may have eaten at some of these places before, it's only this year that I've come to appreciate them sufficiently!

Peckinpah
I decided I wanted barbecue for my birthday this year, and I got it! Everything I ate at Peckinpah was delicious. They have fried pickles, my personal obsession, and hush puppies, which I'd never had before but were great. And the meat platter? Yes, please! I'm already thinking about going back again this year.

Chill Winston's
Another birthday destination - though this time because there was a wait at Peckinpah - but also another favourite. It's my favourite bar in the city - some really excellent mixed drinks! - but their food is great too. They have a Ploughman's Platter with meat, cheese, pickles and bread that is just delicious, and the mustard included is incredible. Their desserts are good too!

Ouisi Bistro
This tiny, tucked-away Cajun place with an adorable patio out back is one of my best finds this year - though all credit goes to my friend Megan, who brought me here back in April. They have a mussel and fries special on Wednesdays, along with a double sidecar, and it's pretty much a perfect meal and experience.

Pocha Korea
I made it here a few times this year, each time got to try something new, and was always happy with the dishes I wound up with. Their bibimbap was great, and the best part of Korean food is always the delicious pickles served before the meal - and Pocha Korea delivered!

Fishworks
An excellent seafood place right on Lonsdale, everything we ate here was great - but especially the oysters. They were perfect, so light and fresh, and I can't stop thinking about them.

The Salmon House
We went there for an office dinner a few weeks ago, and while I'm not sure I could afford to eat there on my own, it was pretty great to experience. From the appetizers to the dessert, every dish was fantastic - including a duck leg confit that I can't stop thinking about. Their brunch is pretty reasonable, so I'm thinking of making plans to go back in the New Year.

Lucille's Smokehouse BBQ (Las Vegas) 
Lucille's is my favourite BBQ place in Las Vegas, and I should probably stop thinking about it since I'll only get hungry and angry I can't make it there any time soon. Their pulled pork and ribs are incredible, but the best part is the apple butter served with the biscuits - it's so cinnamon-y and salty and great, it's all I can think of now!

No comments:

Post a Comment