Tuesday, December 27, 2016

What I Watched - Film

Seeing as something had to give, it's not entirely surprising I didn't manage to watch a lot of movies this year. I actually only saw four in theatres, which is pretty disappointing! I definitely need to make more of an effort on this front next year. One advantage to having seen so few movies is that I really enjoyed everything I made an effort to see, though, all four movies I did see were great!

Zootopia
It took some convincing to get me out to see Zootopia, but I am glad I did. It was a fun movie, visually compelling and well-written. The universe is interesting and well-thought out, and the characters are great! I had a fun time with Zootopia.

Deadpool
I didn't have high expectations for Deadpool, but figured I'd see it so I knew what everybody else was talking about. I was actually surprised by how much I enjoyed it! It was hilarious, and way better than I expected it to be. Ryan Reynolds does such a great job as Deadpool, and the supporting cast shines - Negasonic Teenage Warhead is perfect! I liked it a lot!

Captain America: Civil War
This is one of the movies I was most excited about this year, and it held up! It's not a perfect film, but I enjoyed it, and I absolutely love Black Panther's introduction in this release. Not to mention Spiderman - I had no interest in the new Spiderman reboot until I saw his part in Civil War. The climactic group battle was a lot of fun, and the writing was snappy enough to make it pretty funny. If I had any complaints, it would be that for a Captain America movie, there wasn't a whole lot of Cap in it, but I'm not even sure I want to complain about that!

Ghostbusters
The only other movie I was super excited for, and it was probably even better. It might even be my favourite of the new movies I watched this year. It was hilarious, well done, and just a lot of fun. The cameos were great and not too distracting, and all four of the main ladies did a great job with the piece. I completely adored this one!

Other Movies I Watched This Year

Spy
I really like a lot of Melissa McCarthy's work, and Linda on Pop Culture Happy Hour has mentioned Spy as a good time more than once, so I finally made time to watch it this summer. It was great! Really funny, surprisingly foul-mouthed, and just a lot of fun, it was the perfect movie to unwind with.

Chef
I probably shouldn't be allowed to watch food movies, they just make me want to quit my job and open a restaurant/food truck/bakery. Chef did exactly that. It was beautiful, every dish they showed made my mouth water, and it was a fun little story that I'm glad I watached.

Inside Out
Is it becoming clear that I don't prioritize a lot of movies every year? I finally got to Inside Out this summer, and still haven't seen any number of other great (Pixar) movies. Inside Out was fun enough to make me feel like I should seek out more of them, though! The voice acting was excellent, and the film itself is gorgeous. I also love that Riley loved hockey - a cute little detail! I had fun with Inside Out, and I should really get to move Pixar stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment