Friday, December 30, 2016

What I Watched - TV

Is anyone else exhausted by the amount of TV there is to consume right now? I know a million think pieces about Peak TV have already been written, but it remains true: there's too much good stuff to keep up. I've largely abandoned the idea of following along with anything as it airs, and instead am hoping to just catch it when it hits Netflix. But even Netflix has too much content! I could only watch Netflix Originals for the next year and I still wouldn't catch up. Maybe I should just stop trying altogether... In the meantime, though, some highlights of what I did manage to watch this year!

Luke Cage
Not surprisingly, Luke Cage was fantastic. Gorgeous, poignant, and still pretty fun, with great fight scenes and incredible music. In fact, the music was a highlight of this series, with outstanding performances that really added to the narrative. It's definitely worth watching!

Westworld
I was a little slow to get going on Westworld, but I am glad I finally got around to it. Dense, tightly plotted, and with a lot of lore packed in, it's definitely a series that would benefit from a rewatch. I wonder how much I might catch on a second viewing? And the environment and characters are interesting enough that I'm actually tempted to give it a try... I enjoyed Westworld and its twists and turns a lot!

Lovesick (Scrotal Recall) 
I think I first heard of Lovesick (formerly Scrotal Recall, rebranded for obvious reasons) ages ago, possibly on PCHH, and made a note to try and find it and then promptly forgot about it. Then it turned up on Netflix and I thought I should give it a go, so dumped it on my list and then forgot about it again. I finally got to it this summer, though, and it surprised me with how great it was. The first six episodes are poignant, hilarious, and filled with great music. One episode opens with a sequence of one character explaining the entirety of Point Blank to another... just trust me, it's great. I haven't finished the second season yet, and it isn't quite as perfect, but those first six episodes are just fantastic.

Stranger Things
I'm not sure it's worth writing about Stranger Things too much, since everyone who might like it has probably already seen it, but just to add my two cents: Stranger Things is great. Nostalgic while still being original, tense and thrilling, and just a lot of fun. I had a blast with it.

Galavant
I'll never stop being sad about the end of this perfect, ridiculous show. A sitcom musical? Set in a fantasy-ish medieval time? With Magnitude AND Vinnie Jones? Every thing you can say about this show makes it sound more ridiculous, but it's really, really great. The cast is incredible, the songs are awesome, and it's just really funny.

Bojack Horseman
The third season of Bojack was somehow the best, even though I would have said you couldn't keep going up with this series. It's a little more disjointed than other seasons, with more characters off in their own plots, but giving all this extra time to each character meant each storyline was a little stronger and more interesting. And the underwater episode, done with only a handful of words? Remarkable.

You're the Worst
Pajiba won't shut up about this show, and then finally PCHH did an entire segment about it, and that was enough to push me to seek it out. While I haven't finished the second season, and I haven't seen any of the third, yet, what I have seen is strong enough for me to push it on everyone I know. It's great. Darkly hilarious, it lives up to its name - the two main characters are terrible people, perfectly matched to each other, and constantly struggling, and their stories are excellent. It's smart and touching, and probably my favourite show this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment